Staff Profiles

Miss Smith - Teacher of English 

What made you want to apply to the school?

I was keen to apply to Cokethorpe as its status as the only co-educational non- selective independent school in Oxfordshire appealed to my belief in inclusive learning. I wanted to work in a school that did not discriminate children based upon their academics, but which provided an environment where students could develop both academically and emotionally. Cokethorpe upholds this mantra fully, being a fully diverse and inclusive learning environment for staff and students alike. 

What were your first impressions when you arrived at the school ?

When I first arrived at Cokethorpe I was really taken back by just how friendly and welcoming all the staff and students were. All the staff made a conscious effort to introduce themselves to me and answer any questions I had. This was a lovely, and incredibly supportive, atmosphere to be welcomed into. The very fact one staff member left a 'good luck' post-it note on my desk on my first day I think is testament to just how friendly a school Cokethorpe is. 

What is the best thing about working at Cokethorpe?

The best thing has to be the working environment. Staff and students walk about the school with a real sense of pride in their school community. I've only witnessed positive, welcoming and supportive colleagues who speak about their job with passion and students who have a real enthusiasm for learning. This is the kind of teaching environment I believe any teacher will flourish in and I'm excited to see what the coming years will bring!

Mr Uglow - Director of Studies and Teacher of History

I like the fact that Cokethorpe is a day school with an ethos that is committed to developing a fully rounded education. The fact that it is situated in such a beautiful part of the world, so close to Oxford but away from the traffic, is an added bonus!

What were your first impressions when you arrived at the school?

After working at Cokethorpe for a couple of years, I was struck by how open the Common Room was to embracing new ideas and thinking creatively about the way in which they approach their teaching. Everyone here cares deeply about what they do, and support one another in always looking for ways to improve.

The best thing about Cokethorpe is the fact that people with good ideas and a drive to initiate them are supported and encouraged. It is not a school that is set in its ways or afraid of trying new approaches.

Mr Joiner - Teacher of Geography

When I went on the website and saw the pictures of the school I thought I would struggle to find a better environment to work in.

The sheer number of activities and sports that were offered to the students allowed me to get fully involved in school life from day one. It really helped me to form positive relationships with the students that I taught which could then be transferred into the classroom.

The best thing about Cokethorpe is the Common Room, personally I don’t think I have ever worked amongst a more friendly or supportive group of people.