BTEC Business Studies

BTECs are work related qualifications suitable for a wide range of students, built to accommodate the needs of employers and allow progression to university. They provide a more practical, real world approach to learning alongside a key, theoretical background. BTECs are recognised by schools, colleges, universities, employers and professional bodies across the United Kingdom and in over 100 countries worldwide. BTECs have been around for 25 years and last year more than one million students enrolled on a BTEC course.

At Cokethorpe we offer the two year programme – BTEC National Extended Diploma in Business which is equivalent to three A Levels. The exact course content is tailored to the various interests and strengths of the student. In addition to the course curriculum, BTEC student receive a range lessons to support their qualification. In the past these have included sessions on politics, culture, IT and the stock market.

Work Placement

One of the key elements to the BTEC is that students are supported in finding suitable work placements that form part of their school week (usually one day per week). The work placement allows students to see how businesses operate first-hand and provides valuable insight and material for assignments. It also allows students to tailor their course to reflect business disciplines they might not have previously considered. 

Why Choose BTEC Business Studies

A BTEC course is right for you if:

• You prefer a more practical way of learning
  • You have an interest in Business
  • You are prepared to take guidance from the course team to become independent and active learners
  • You would like to go to University but are not sure that the A level route suits you; the Extended Diploma course is equivalent to three GCE A Levels and the top Distinction grade is accepted at some of the Russell Group Universities.

Exam Board

Pearson (Edexcel) BTEC National Extended Diploma in Business 

Course Content

The exact make-up of the Cokethorpe BTEC Business course can vary and will be tailored to the various interests and strengths of the students. In total the students will cover 13 units over the two year course.

7 Mandatory Units: 

• Exploring business
  • Developing a marketing campaign
  • Personal and Business Finance
  • Managing an Event
  • International Business
  • Principles of Management
  • Business Decision Making

6 Optional Units, including:

• Pitching for New Business
  • Recruitment and Selection Process
  • Digital Marketing
  • Investigating Corporate Social Responsibility
  • The English Legal System
  • Work Experience in Business

Assessment

To complete each unit, students’ work is assessed along the way, pulling together skills, knowledge and understanding. The ongoing assessment allows students to analyse and improve their own performance through their course in much the same way as they would in the workplace. The teacher assessment is complemented by an external assessment to give a clear and robust view of the student’s real abilities and performance.  42% of the course is externally assessed.

• Unit results are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction.
  • Grades for each unit are converted into points and then combined to give an overall grade; these can be translated into UCAS points.
  • A minimum of a Pass grade in each of the 13 units is needed.

Trips, Activities and Extension

A range of external speakers and trips are arranged throughout the course including a business strategy talk from a Director at Virgin Media and visits to the Bank of England, London Metal Exchange, City of London, Witney Trade Fair, Blenheim Palace, BMW Mini factory tour and Eynsham Hall.