Fine Art

The Art, Textiles and Photography Department prides itself on the creative energy of the pupils and staff, all of whom work together in a highly supportive working environment. Work created by pupils is constantly on display within the Departments and also throughout the School. The highligh of our year is the annual exhibition at the end of the Summer Term; this showcases all of our best talent and achievements throughout the school year.

The Art Department has a wide range of different experience and expertise including specialist tutors in Photography, Fine Art, Ceramics and Surface Pattern. All the teaching staff work closely together to support the aims of the Department and their commitment and expertise creates a productive and creative atmosphere that stimulates enthusiasm for the subject.

We offer dynamic and engaging courses in Art and Design at A Level following the AQA syllabus in Fine Art, Photography and Textiles.

Why Choose Fine Art 

A Level Art and Design at Cokethorpe has been produced with students in mind. Students can develop personal responses to ideas, observations, experiences, environments and cultures in practical, critical and contextual forms. This specification also allows students to develop an awareness of the importance of consumers of Art and Design, as well as gain an understanding of the contribution of artists, craftspeople and designers to society and industry.

Examination Board

Further information on the Art and Design A Level can be found on the AQA website.

Course Content

This four-unit specification, two at AS level and two at A2 Level, requires students to develop their ability to show a range of skills. These include: 

• Independence of mind in developing their own ideas 
  • An interest and enthusiasm for art and design 
  • The experience of working with a range of media, including traditional and new media and technologies 
  • An awareness of different roles, functions, audiences and consumers of art and design practice.
  • We offer three endorsements for this qualification: Fine Art, Textile Design and Photography (lens and light based media).

Assessment

Each unit makes up 25% of the final A Level Mark

AS Level consists of 2 units:
Unit 1: Portfolio of Work
Unit 2: Externally Set Task set by AQA

A2 Level consists of 2 units:
Unit 3: A Personal Project chosen by the student
Unit 4: Externally Set Examination Unit set by AQA leading to a final 15 Hour Exam

Trips, Activities and Extension 

The Art and Design Department run a substantial extra-curricular program to support A Level students. Included in this are guest speakers, workshops, life drawing sessions and visits to exhibitions and galleries in this country and abroad. We also welcome back ex-students who have gone on to study degree courses in Fine Art, Photography and Textiles to speak to students.

Sixth Form Residential Visit to Venice and Rome

Sixth Form Residential Visit to Venice and Rome.

Sixth Form Residential Visit to St Ives in Cornwall

On this visit students have the opportunity to participate in a workshop at the St Ives School of Art, Barbara Hepworth Gardens and Tate St Ives.

Visits to London Galleries and Exhibitions

Previous visits have included Photography Exhibitions, Degree Shows, the Tate Modern, Royal Academy and National Portrait Gallery.

Royal Academy Drawing Workshop and Life Drawing Session

During the Michaelmas Term A Level students have the opportunity to participate in a Life Drawing and Portrait workshop with a model from the Royal Academy. The following day the group travel to London to take part in an artist led workshop at the Tate Modern, followed by a guided tour of the Anselm Kiefer exhibition at the Royal Academy and a visit to the National Portrait Gallery. The trip complements the portrait session the students participated in the previous day.

Textiles visit to the Knit and Stitch Show at Alexander Palace, London

The exhibition allows textiles artists to display their work, and is a chance for students to view the exhibits and speak to the artists. Students are also able to participate in workshops providing more techniques to use for their projects.