Physical Education

If you think that studying Physical Education is just about playing games, then think again.

This is a course that will enable you to understand how your body works in relation to performance, how the world of sport serves the needs of you and elite athletes, and finally, how and why sport has become a truly global medium.

Those wishing to study Physical Education will have the opportunity to embark on a challenging yet rewarding course. The Department teaches students the Edexcel specification which combines two written exam papers and two coursework modules each of equal importance and marks. The course has two sections which are covered over two years; the AS Level in the Lower Sixth and the A2 Level in the Upper Sixth.

Why Choose Physical Education

• Practical application of science subjects which help to increase understanding
  • Further develop knowledge and understanding of technique and tactics within a wide range of sports
  • Build confidence and the ability to communicate in a public setting
  • To enhance social skills through team work, leadership and coaching peers
  • Pursue a sport related specialist degree including Sport Physiotherapy, Sport Nutrition, Teaching or as a Professional Athlete. 

Exam Board

Further information on the Physical Education A Level can found on the Edexcel website. 

Course Content

A Level PE:

Component 1: Scientific Principles of PE

• Applied Anatomy and Physiology
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Applied Movement Analysis

Component 2: Psychological and Social Principles of PE

• Skill Acquisition
  • Sports Psychology
  • Sport and Society

Component 3: Practical Performance 

• Skills performed as a player/performer or coach

Component 4: Performance Analysis and Personal Development Programme

• Performance Analysis
  • Personal Development (PDP)

AS Level PE:

• Applied Anatomy and Physiology
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Applied Movement Analysis

• Skill Acquisition
  • Sports Psychology
  • Sport and Society

Component 3: Practical Performance 

Component 4: Performance Analysis

• Performance Analysis

Assessment

A Level PE:

Component 1: Scientific Principles of PE - Examination 2 hours and 30 minutes, 40%

Component 2: Psychological and Social Principles of PE - Examination 2 hour, 30%

Component 3: Practical Performance - 15%

Component 4: Performance Analysis and Personal Development Programme - 15%

AS Level PE:

Component 1: Scientific Principles of PE - Examination 2 hours and 30 minutes, 40%

Component 2: Psychological and Social Principles of PE - Examination 2 hour, 30%

Component 4: Performance Analysis - 15%

Trips, Activities and Extension

Built into the Physical Education course is the need to experience those very things studied in the classroom or Sports Hall. The Department organises visits to elite sporting institutions as well as premier clubs. These visits have great educational value and fully embrace the world of elite sport and provide students with the opportunity to see at first-hand how technology and science combine to enable the performer to excel. Recent visits have included: 

Loughborough University: Sports Science Day

Students from the Lower and Upper Sixth travelled to Loughborough University for a day of practical activities, tour of the campus and a insightful lecture on sports nutrition. The visit proved insightful and an inspiration to those wishing to follow a degree in sports science at the country’s premier sports university.

Bath University: Sports Science Workshops

Students are offered the chance to visit the Bath University Sports Village for advanced Physical Education workshops. A grand tour of the first rate facilities and the opportunity for some students to undertake some industry standing sports testing proved to be a worthwhile supplement to their Physical Education courses. A short lecture of the development of training using periodisation gave the students a taste of life as student attending lectures.

Northampton Saints RFC: Workshops and Tour

A group of over twenty AS and A2 Physical Education students travelled to the ‘Saints’ and enjoyed a full day of lectures on sports analysis and diet for sport as well as a tour of the elite provisions for their rugby players. Some practical activities included the correct protocols for undertaking a front squat and the opportunity to try out a few pieces of the clubs training equipment. The day highlighted the precision and depth to elite sport preparation.

Lilleshall National Sports Centre:

GCE PE students travelled to Shropshire and took part in an insightful day looking at the superb facilities at one of our national sports centres. The original house and grounds being donated to the country by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. A Tour and talk on the national provisions for elite sport, observation of elite gymnasts hard at work training and the prospect of some ‘play time’ on the equipment made it an enjoyable and motivational day.