Business Studies

Business Studies investigates the relationship between businesses and their environment, requiring students to think critically and make informed business decisions.

The A Level aims to teach a number of important skills. Through analysis of key factors, decisions making, and problem solving, students are able to make judgements regarding ethical issues and globalisation. Business Studies also allow students to understand the wider business context and keeps up them to date with current news topics.

Why Choose Business Studies

Possible careers for Business Graduates:

• Accountancy
  • Marketing
  • Operations Management
  • Public Relations
  • Entrepreneurship

Exam Board

Further information on the Business Studies A Level can be found on the AQA website.

Course Content

Unit 1: Planning and Financing a Business

This Unit takes the perspective of an entrepreneur before they have set up a business and looks at the planning that is involved. How will I know what legal structure to use? How will I know how much cash is needed in the first year? How is the concept of cash different from profit? How will I plan out the recruitment process? Students will be required to show judgement in this context, making decisions about best business practice in the planning stages.

Unit 2: Managing a Business

This Unit takes the perspective of a small business which is in its first year of trading. Students will now be asking questions about how best to manage the business through this first year. How can a business improve its profit levels? How can I measure the performance of my employees and find the best way to keep them motivated? What types of processes are available to ensure that the business is producing products of sufficient quality? What price should I charge for the product, and how will this affect sales quantity? Students will be required to show judgement as they make decisions about how to best improve the business in context. 

Unit 3: Strategies for Success

This Unit takes a more corporate perspective: now that the business is up and running, how do we develop a strategy to ensure its survival? How much debt is too much for a business to take out? How should a business structure its workforce to ensure that there is no industrial action? How can I plan out a project to ensure that it is completed on time? In investigating these questions students will be encouraged to look to the business world for real life examples and will perform in-depth analysis on strategies used by current businesses. In the end students will be required to show judgment as they make decisions about how to develop business strategy in response to changing conditions.

Unit 4: The Business Environment and Managing Change

This Unit takes a wider approach and looks at the business environment and how businesses respond to change within it. Students will be given a pre-released research theme and will develop in-depth knowledge or real life factors which influence businesses. They will also be required to make judgements and consider links to other aspects of the business world, such as globalisation and business ethics.

Assessment

100% Examination Assessment

AS Units

• Unit 1 (20%)
  • Unit 2 (30%)

A2 Units

• Unit 3 (25%)
  • Unit 4 (25%)

Trips, Activities and Extension

Young Enterprise

Lower Sixth students have the opportunity to start their own company, find investors, make money, and compete against other schools and colleges in county-wide Young Enterprise Company programme competition.