UCAS Preparation

The process of applying to university at Cokethorpe School is something which drives the ambitions of the overwhelming majority our Sixth Form students.

Achieving attractive offers from top universities is a key motivating factor in A Level success and we strive to ensure that each individual is given the best foundation for the future. Our Sixth Formers go on to become very successful graduates securing employment within dynamic environments.

UCAS is the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service in the UK. A Level students apply to five courses (usually at five separate institutions). Each year, we prepare our Upper Sixth students for entry into some of the most prestigious institutions in the country. 

Information, Advice and Guidance 

At Cokethorpe School we guide our students towards achieving the most successful outcomes in terms of course choice and getting the best-fit university for each individual. Our highly personalised approach, led by a dedicated team of specialised and experienced Sixth Form tutors, ensures that each student receives detailed advice tailored towards their individual needs. Our ambitions for our Sixth Formers are high, and our students share these aspirations for success. The vast majority of our students receive all five offers from UCAS, in many cases receiving grade offers below those advertised. In some cases our students go on to receive unconditional offers. Russell Group and 1994 Group universities (the groups which represent the leading UK universities in terms of research and outstanding teaching and learning) dominate the list of university destinations at Cokethorpe. However, we also have very strong links with more vocational and industry focused universities, drama schools, art colleges, music conservatoires and apprenticeship schemes (for example, the highly competitive BMW apprenticeship programme).

Selecting the Right Course at the Right Institution 

A dedicated and knowledgeable team support each student every step along the UCAS journey. In addition to one-to-one mentoring from their tutor, each student has access to the expertise of Mrs Holmes, Head of Careers, and the Sixth Form management team, who receive annual training at UCAS conferences. Dedicated sessions on the UCAS process are incorporated into the school timetable, ranging from advice on the nuts and bolts of the application, to how to produce a winning personal statement. The Higher Education and Careers Library also provides a wealth of information and our students are pro-active in researching their Higher Education ideas in detail before coming to an informed decision. 

We fully recognise the need for guidance which is right up-to-date and focused upon key issues such as graduate employment rates and student satisfaction. The quality of teaching and learning within a particular course at each institution is of paramount importance and we ensure that our students can access statistics which compare courses at different universities alongside each other.

Pupils benefit from well-planned careers education and advice about university applications. ISI Inspection Report