A Level Selection

Our Sixth Form has established a strong reputation for getting the best out of its students.

Whilst successful performance in the Sixth Form depends to a considerable extent on having chosen the right type of course in the first place, it also requires a high degree of personal motivation and students need to have a real interest in the subjects they will be studying in such depth for two years. We offer a broad and varied curriculum that reflects the needs and aspirations of our students, balanced with a diverse programme of extra-curricular activities. Opportunities for supporting the curriculum through educational visits and courses are extensive, ranging from a visit to The White House to participation in science workshops.

Based on our entry requirements, students will select either three or four subjects to study at AS. The diversity in subject options that we offer ensures that our students can select from both traditional A Levels and more contemporary subjects such as Politics and Economics. Class sizes are small, enabling students to receive a high degree of personal attention. Whilst most pupils make firm decisions about their choices in the Lent Term of their final GCSE year it is not unheard of for ideas to change once their results come out in August.

In addition to increased subject choices, all Sixth Formers take part in Games and have a wide range of AOB activities to choose from; many take part in the Young Enterprise scheme or achieve the Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. Sixth Form students also take part in the Sixth Form Enlightenment Lectures programme, in which visiting lecturers present talks that encourage our students to think outside traditional specialisms and extend their knowledge in different fields.

Students also have the chance to represent the School through social events and academic visits, or serving the School as a Prefect, Head of House or Head of School. All students are encouraged to take a role in our community; this might include coaching junior sport, working with talented younger pupils in their chosen subject area, training as a student counsellor or helping in the local wider community. 

Do please contact Mr S White, Head of Sixth Form, for more detailed information on the Sixth Form Options Process and related entry requirements.

Further information is also available on the individual subject pages.