Rugby Union is an integral part of the School sporting programme.
Players are engaged in high quality coaching designed to develop them both as individuals and teams. Supported by an experienced and dedicated coaching staff all players have the opportunity to test their abilities against other independent schools and local state schools. Each team has a comprehensive fixture list and for the U14, U15 and U18s the opportunity to participate in Cup Competitions both within Oxfordshire and the National 'Nat West' Cup at U15 and U18 levels. Teams train twice a week with matches on Wednesday (U14-U18’s) and Thursday (U9-U13’s) afternoons and monthly Saturday fixtures. In addition, players selected for the 1stXV squad have the opportunity to further develop through additional training and coaching sessions as well as following personal fitness programmes.
U9, U10, U11A, U11B, U12A, U12B, U13A, U13B, U14, U15, U16, 2nd XV, 1st XV
- Seven dedicated rugby pitches (two of which are used by international schools teams)
- Training grid areas
- Multi-purpose gym with cardiovascular machines
- Two astroturf pitches for additional coaching, conditioning and unit preparation
Team and Individual Achievements:
- Eleven County Cup Finals in the last ten years
Produced over 50 County players and six England players - those players being Henry Purdy now playing at Gloucester RFC and England U20 World Cup winner 2013 and 2014, Julian Watkins, Josh Poole, Jacob Wilson, Andrew Berry and Ed Church.
- The 1st XV established a new County record in 2012 when they won their 4th U18 County Cup in succession
- Cokethorpe has been County Champions at U14 and U15 Level
Various Sevens competition titles at Sibford School and Wycliffe College
Head of Rugby: