The Kayak Club specialises in the discipline of flat-water racing, this is an Olympic sport with annual World Championship events. Our single and double boats are long and thin with large cockpits, making the initial challenge to stay up right.
The Kayak Club holds taster sessions during the Summer Term. The U16’s kayak through to Michaelmas half term and the U18’s train over the winter months to take part in the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race held over the four days of Easter.
All of our staff hold Level 2 RYA certificates and all participants wear buoyancy aids. A risk assessment is carried out prior to every session.
Michaelmas, Lent and Summer
Senior School Boys and Girls.
- Boathouse set in two acres on the bank of the Thames at Newbridge
Range of racing kayaks constructed with composite materials including carbon fibre and Kevlar.
Two power boats for safety
Competitions and Tours:
- Annual weekend trip to Cornwall to compete in the Fowey Marathon Race
Race events between October and April
Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race
Team and Individual Achievements:
- 2011 Devizes to Westminster Team Runners Up
- 2010 Devizes to Westminster Team Runners Up
- 2009 Devizes to Westminster Team Champions
- Six pupils have achieved International Representation Honours; Lena Beardsal, Tim Mullar, Fred Rief, George Barnicoat, Louis Allen and Sam Glover